Friday, November 18, 2011

Flash Fiction Friday - Chats with Cats

Monday by Darren Hopes

“I resigned,” Penny crowed, slipping off her blouse and tossing it in the general direction of the hamper. Maximilian said nothing, but he was a quiet one. “God, I’m not sure what I’m going to do now. Maybe art school. I always wanted to be an artist.” She sensed disapproval. “Sure I could,” she said, without waiting for the response. Her skirt was sent flying to join the blouse, leaving her still too warm. “I’d pay my way by modeling.” She struck a pose and giggled.

Maximilian was a cat, so he didn’t see what was so exciting. He would have preferred fish. Penny needed someone like her to appreciate her beauty. But that’s always the way of things.


“I resigned,” Penny scowled. “I couldn’t take the pressure.” Maximilian was sympathetic, or at least he seemed that way to her. “Exposing yourself like that is tough.” She reached for her blouse, only to find it covered in cat fur. “Damn it Max, shed someplace else, okay?”

He looked at her with unblinking eyes as if to inquire what she expected. She couldn’t stay mad at him, and, wincing as his claws unthinkingly scored her bare flesh, she picked him up and pressed her nose to his. “You get me,” she said, feeling lost. “Why can’t anyone else get me?”

Maximilian could have told her had he been a human, but if he had been there would have been no need to ask the question in the first place.


“I resigned,” Penny said. “Resigned myself to loneliness and talking to Max all day.” She laughed, a free laugh that made her breasts shake and drew a smile from her companion. “He’s a good boy, but he’s not much for conversation.”

“I think he’s cute,” said Jill, lying back on the bed and stretching. “Not as cute as you, of course...”

“You minx,” Penny chortled, slowly turning her gaze from Maximilian to her lover. “Don’t hurt his feelings.”

Maximilian’s feelings weren’t hurt at all as Penny and Jill proceeded to make love for the fourth time that day. He didn’t care. The fish was plentiful with this new woman in the house, and truth be told, quiet was nice sometimes.


Three takes, in sequence. I don't have much time to talk about them, but I may amend this exegesis tomorrow; I just wanted to have it written before the deadline.

Flash Fiction Friday: it calms the shakes.

10 comments:

The Panserbjørne said...

Geez, I almost named the cat "Maximilian" in mine too. Something made me choose "Basil" instead, though. Just...that's weird. :)

Loved these, especially the last one. Cats are always first and foremost in their own thoughts.

-- PB

Anonymous said...

Variations on a theme by Lexi.

Bravo.

PS

Advizor54 said...

I like all three, with #3 being a favorite, not just because of the FF lovin', but because it seems to capture a sences of the couple, a little vignette that made me smile.

But I do like the idea of conversations with a cat, I used to talk to mine all the time.

Naughty Lexi said...

@PB: Well, imperial names are good for cats :)

@PS: Thanks hun :)

@Advizor: I think they're all in sequence, actually, so you can like #3 because it's the end. I likes me a happy ending I does ;)

Advizor54 said...

They certainly felt like a series, but I didn't know if it was a three-part miniseries or a themed triptych, and yes, a happy ending makes most stories better.

Anonymous said...

very nice and I had trouble just doing one, lol.

Max said...

Three very sweet little takes. If I have to choose, I'll take #1 (but who said I have to choose?) :-)

Happy FFF!

Naughty Lexi said...

@trazuredpet: I really only did one this week, just broken into three parts. If I'd had time, I would have explained that in the postscript. I originally intended to only write the first one, but it seemed like it needed a companion piece, and then the third one just spoke for itself. Glad you enjoyed them though :)

@Max: You don't have to choose at all. Have all three if you like ;)

Word said...

Nicely done. I saw them as three separate versions of the same conversation. The kind where you are trying to convince yourself of something and keep changing the bits you need to to make it right. That whole practice makes perfect thing.

Naughty Lexi said...

@Word: I like the way you think. That pretty much describes part of what I was thinking, only it describes it in a not-totally-incoherent way :)