Friday, May 6, 2011

Flash Fiction Friday - Procrastinatrix

Bedtime Reading by Valery Bareta

I shall do my work. I shall not procrastinate. That's my little voice again, unheard and unheeded, as instead I put aside the book of knowledge I seek but cannot stand, and close my eyes and think of her.

I have only seen her in dreams, but she is beautiful. She waits for me in the mist, shining locks cascading over perfect shoulders, high, proud breasts, slim and lithe, with eyes as deep as a well and also as dark. The haze parts and there she is, standing wanton. She begs me with her eyes, and I do as she desires, lying back, my fickle fingers stealing down to rest above the rising heat of my loins. Her eyes widen; she seems to urge me on as I run delicate touches around my hooded goddess, feeling the moisture and pressure increase.

She never touches me, not in my dreams or my waking visions, seeming content to watch as I bring myself to joy. She remains wordless, but I can feel it as the book tumbles to the floor. Again, she speaks without speaking. Again.


In contrast to last week's flash of almost instant inspiration, this week I left this until almost the eleventh hour. It wasn't a lack of inspiration on the part of the picture, but rather on the part of me; I haven't been feeling terribly writerly of late. Maybe I blew a fuse doing last week's.

The title is a bit goofy for the story, but I love adding "trix" to the end of words to make them sexier. I'm all for feminism and I think that women and men should be judged the same way, but if that means I've got to give up aviatrix and dominatrix and so forth, I think that's just silly. Sillier than herstory. Sillier than hym and hys. I think women need to take back "trix" in the same way we need to take back "bitch" and "cunt." I have a dream where one day, little children of all genders can call each other cunts without regard to sexuality or gender! I have a dream today!

A bit much? Yeah, maybe. I do like procrastinatrix though.

As for the meat of it, I rarely write in the present tense, but in this case it seemed right. There's enough of the present-past that it doesn't seem like an imposition, but I figured what the hell, I'd try it.

Is she a temptress, a succubus, a siren? I don't know. This isn't autobiographical except in the sense that I procrastinate, sometimes by masturbating. I think you can believe whatever you want to believe.

Just one this week, which means that to get your fix of Flash Fiction Friday you may need more than a taste. If so, head over to the supplier, PB, with one pants leg rolled up and a red carnation in your buttonhole, and he'll sort you out. Tell 'em Lexi the Cunt sent you, and if that doesn't get you thrown out, clearly I need to try harder. Unless you're the fuzz. You aren't the fuzz, are you? If you are, you really should shave more carefully next time.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the title and think it goes very well with your take on the picture.

I tried to think of some witty thing to say with trix on the end and failed. lol

The Panserbjørne said...

Again I am flooded with stuff I have to say after reading this.

First, the story itself: Wonderfully wanton and very evocative. I got a vivid mental picture of the dream lady and it was gorgeous.

Secondly, "-trix": I think it would have been hilarious if you used "masturbatrix" instead. But "procrastinatrix" is awesome.

Finally, on the word "cunt": you know, right, that in England men and women are both called cunts as an insult routinely? Maybe we should all follow their example -- if it gets commonplace enough, soon it won't even be an insult anymore. :)

Thanks as always for joining us, and giving us such a great story and commentary.

-- PB

Naughty Lexi said...

@pocket rockettz: No need to be witty; happens to me all the time ;)

@PB: I never even thought of masturbatrix. What's wrong with me? As for cunt, I am aware that it's less naughty in certain places than in others, but I'd like to see it become something that isn't an insult at all. That seems rather pie-in-the-sky, but I can dream.

Max said...

Great story, and I love your coining of a new and delightful word. I'll see if I can work it into everyday conversation.

I'll be sure to tell 'em that Lexi the Cunt sent me...no doubt they'll roll out the red carpet. :-)

Happy FFF!

Naughty Lexi said...

@Max: I was trying to work out a gangster name for myself like Nicky the Squid, and Lexi the Cunt seemed apropos, but I don't particularly like it. Call me whatever you like, just don't call me late for dinner, as they say ;)

Word said...

That was great. Love the -trix suffix. :) I also liked the voyeuristic mental play.

Oh, and cunt is one of my favorite 4 letter words. One of the better insults around here is "Don't call her a cunt. She lacks the depth and the warmth to qualify!" :)

Naughty Lexi said...

@Word: Ooh, that's a good one; I must remember that.

Inferno said...

I am a huge procrastinator myself because of getting lost in fantasy, but addition of the "trix" doesn't fit since I'm a guy. Bummer , because I really like the sound of the word.

Naughty Lexi said...

@Inferno: Maybe "or" needs to be the neuter ending, which would leave the male ending open to be something like "race" or something. Procrastinatrace? Procrastinatrex? Ooh, that's good. Let's go with that from now on ;)

Advizor54 said...

I love the title as a fellow procrastinator and lover of solo love. It's a great combination and was used to great effect for years when I got home first from work and didn't really want to start cleaning the apartment.

Siren or Succubus is an open question thought, sometimes it was wonderful, other times it just got me in trouble for being behind schedule.

Great piece, as always, and I did read it on Friday, if you give me credit for Hawaii time.

France said...

Hooded goddess... love that :))
I always enjoy your stories & commentaries!

Naughty Lexi said...

@Advizor: I don't really care if you read it Tuesday a month from now, as long as you enjoy it. And I'm not sure I know the difference in quality between a siren and a succubus; both seem rather negative in the main. Sirens tempt men to their dooms by shipwreck, whereas succubi... tempt men to their dooms via soul-stealing, I guess. I also shouldn't say "men" but that's the traditional myth.

@France: I didn't want to use the traditional four-letter epithets, and I'm always on the hunt for new euphemism. I can't claim credit for having invented that phrase, but at the same time I can't offer proof that I didn't invent it, so let's just say I enjoyed it wherever it came from. Glad you did too :)