Friday, September 10, 2010

Flash Fiction Friday - Who's the Fairest of Them All?

Into Tub by Kathy Slamen

He stole into her chambers furtively, straining to stop the sound of each heavy boot, his beard pulled over his face to muffle his breathing. Past the mirror on the wall, past the poison apples, to the bath. And there she stood in the shadows, towering over him, her back turned; the candles' glow was like his rage. She was naked and beautiful, but he didn't hesitate. "This is for Snow White," Grumpy cried, then drove his vengeful blade home.


I had to edit the hell out of this to get it to work in the constraints (60 to 88 words).  I actually thought it was 80, which meant I cut harder than I had to, but I think it stripped away the fat.

Where did this one come from?  Okay, prepare for a bit of a roller coaster as we attempt to navigate my train of thought.  It might be interesting to see how my mind works.  Or terrifying.

I started out thinking about the tub as a magical portal, because the lighting was just right.  But everything else was too modern.  I toyed with several ideas along those lines before chucking the whole thing.  Then, I was looking at the picture and realized that the camera angle is actually quite low (although now I think about it, it's almost crotch-height, so there's an avenue I didn't explore that might have been exciting).  Plus it seemed kind of peering in rather than expected.  So who would interrupt this scene who was also short enough to have that eye level?  An animal?  Nope, not going to write that one for this blog, either that or it wouldn't be terribly interesting.  A kid?  There's certainly an opportunity to write something about her being surprised in the bath by a child, but it didn't inspire me (and no, I'm not talking about sexually, I'm just saying that children do bust through doors with humorous consequences).

Then (I told you this was a ride) I thought about homunculi.  Was this a sexy story of a creation and its creator?  I started there, but for some reason began thinking dwarf instead (not dwarf as in achondroplasia, but as in Snow White and the Seven, obviously).  So maybe one of the dwarves was making his way into Snow White's boudoir for some naughty time?  It certainly wouldn't be the first time someone wrote a story about that.  But the ass in question seemed a bit... curvy for the common image of poor Snow White, who seems to be pretty flat in several areas (she'll grow into it, of course).  So maybe the dwarf in question was visiting someone else?  The evil Queen?  Yes, I could have had a dwarf sneaking into the Queen's boudoir for some naughty time too, not without precedent, but then it occurred to me that if I had been one of the dwarves, I would have settled that bitch's hash sharpish after she killed the only woman in my life.

Thus, nemesis, in the person of Grumpy, who seemed most likely to go for such things.  It's such a short vignette for any kind of twist, so while I didn't come right out and say it up front, I think I made it pretty obvious before I actually said it at the end.

On investigation, it seems that the Queen gets killed by lightning in the film (which is consistently listed as the greatest animated movie of all time, showing just how terrible people's taste is) which I didn't remember because I haven't seen the movie but once when I was younger and didn't like it then.  So I'm doing a bit of revision.  Revenge is a dish best served cold.  I think, actually, the events in my vignette occurred after Snow White was awakened by her prince and has told the prince and the dwarves just how much of a bitch the evil Queen really is, at which point Grumpy infiltrates the palace with his assassin skills and terminates her with extreme prejudice to revenge everything, not just the seeming death of Snow White.  Then they all go back to Casa Charming to have a crazy orgy.  That part is definitely not canon.

And there you have it: the explanation that's ten times longer than the piece itself.  I'm such a tool.  You could be a tool too if you headed over to Flash Fiction Friday and dropped some fiction on our collective asses.  Then you could write something about how your piece on a guy fucking a girl in the ass is really a metaphor for the Spanish Civil War and the growth of mechanization in modern warfare.  I look forward to hearing about it.  Make it short.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL! This is wicked cool. First thing that caught my attention were the poison apples. ;-)

~CP (who loves your thought process)

Advizor54 said...

I love it! I love it! I love it!

The minute I saw Grumpy's name I new it was a perfect piece.

Unknown said...

You, ma'am, just made my week.

:D

There's really nothing else to say that isn't praise.

Happy FFF!

~Soren

Max said...

Very creative. You got a lot into a few words. And the explanation of your train of thought made me laugh.

Happy FFF!

Anonymous said...

*gulps*



suds can be so comforting...

The Panserbjørne said...

Tool or not, I'm utterly fascinated by the background explanation. I think I said last week that you intrigue me. Things like this are the reason why. You're either extraordinarily educated or extraordinarily well-read. Or perhaps both.

Anyway, this may not have been the sexy piece I might have expected from your perverted little mind, but is a jewel of creation nevertheless. Thanks for joining us, Lexi.

-- PB

SlowBurn said...

Goodness! A lot went into it! I really liked your take. I need to study more...

Anonymous said...

ROFL I love the story about how you got the idea probably as much as I love the actual idea! That was gorgeously executed (ooo pun!)

Anonymous said...

You know, I never would have thought of Grumpy as a killer. Interesting twist. :)

Naughty Lexi said...

@everyone: So sorry I had to be AFK for so long while so many nice comments were being made; hope it didn't discourage anyone. I'm going to be making the rounds at some point to share the love.

@CP: Like I said, I wasn't exactly trying to keep it a secret, but I did want to give out some cute clues. I actually liked "mirror on the wall" (almost repeated mirror, but decided that was too much). So there's some more thought process for you to love ;)

@Advizor: *blushes* No, look hard enough and there are a few blemishes I'm afraid. But I'm really glad you enjoyed Grumpy.

@Soren: *blushes again* I'll take the praise if that's all you've got ;) Not complaining.

@Max: I really crammed it in there (as the midget said to Mae West). My train of thought frequently makes me laugh, so I'm glad it worked vicariously as well.

@Sir Thomas: Beer or soap? I could see both. Not sure what beer has to do with anything, but head can be comforting, I guess. And there we go, off the rails and into the bush... crap, I just can't stop. Please tell me someone understood this.

@PB: I got much of my education from reading, and I've read a lot in the course of my education. Or, as the less astute like to say, I have a mind full of meaningless trivia. Thanks for being more astute. I'm sorry I wasn't perverse this week (although I don't know, some people might call revenge-killing by a dwarf of a naked sorceress in the tub slightly perverse, though perhaps not sexually so).

@slowburn: Following my train of thought makes it sound like there's more to it than there actually is, I'm afraid. Many of those leaps aren't intelligence, they're just crazy. No need to feel inferior; FFF is all about the love, baby ;)

@Sephi: Yay! She was able to comment! Always good to have you around. Puns are allowed here on alternate Fridays, and I don't enforce that rule with spankings; I'm much more devious than that ;)

@rozewolf: If there had been a "Homicidal" Seven Dwarf, I would have gone for that ;) I can see it now; the Seven Dwarves: Psycho, Sneaky, Vengeful, Homicidal, Angry, Ninja, and Doc. After all, nasty, brutish, and short, right? Right? Come on, somebody, rimshot please! No? I need to stop making obscure jokes.

And now, after that novel-length comment, off to write comments on other people's stories.

Dioneo said...

I love your creativity, Lexi! I'm not sure I find Grumpy credible as the assassin, though. He's too conspicuous. More likely, it would be Bashful--it's always the shy ones, after all. ;)

Naughty Lexi said...

@Dioneo: To be honest, there was a part of me which wanted it to be Dopey, because that would just be the ultimate twist. He may look stupid, but he's actually a cold-blooded assassin. However, that wasn't really the tone I was going for; I wanted revenge, but without the implications that the dwarves were anything more than justifiably angry at the Queen. If Dopey (or indeed Bashful) were secretly psychos, that throws everything into question. But your theory did make me laugh :)

Laura said...

I like the evil Witch. This is so unfair.

Naughty Lexi said...

@Laura: Take it up with the dwarves; I'm merely the chronicler ;) I never said she was dead, either; maybe she survived by the force of her black heart and went on to kill each of them in horrible ways. Feel free to write that story and if you do, send me a link so I can post it.