Thursday, April 14, 2011

Completely Non-Erotic Post

I don't often do this; I'm not much for bringing things into the blog which aren't sexual, or at least related to sex in some way. But if you're not listening to Mumford and Sons, you should be. Seriously. I've had Sigh No More on an almost constant loop since I got it on Tuesday. Singing along. I haven't heard an album this good in a long time. It's beautiful, a word I don't use lightly. It reminds me of Neutral Milk Hotel's In the Aeroplane Over the Sea, another album worth listening to.

I remember, vaguely, when people used to purchase entire albums, rather than simply buying individual songs and rolling their own. I'm not saying that the mix tape is evil, but occasionally there are albums which hold together, from which you don't want to just extract songs. They don't make too many of them any more; the way the wind is blowing I guess.

Anyway, I'm not a music critic or a hipster, and I know sweet fuck all about the group, but Mumford and Sons is addictive, and I'm the pusher. God damn the pusher man.

I suppose you could listen to the album while having sex. It wouldn't be my first choice, but that vague rationalization is all I have.

I'd post videos here with the songs, but like I said, album. Album. The individual songs are good, but as a whole, it's better. You can hunt down these things yourselves. I have faith in your abilities to use Google.

We now return you to our regularly-scheduled broadcast.

5 comments:

GoodWill said...

Agreed on M&S. Solid group, and that was a terrific album. I try not to be a snob about it either, but rarely is an entire album a good listen start to finish, and I think there's is one of the rare ones nowadays.

Naughty Lexi said...

See, my feeling on good albums is that they transcend each individual song. There are albums which have songs that, out of context, I don't like, but as part of the album they add to the whole.

GoodWill said...

I know exactly what you mean. I find that songs that I don't love on first go round, take a deeper meaning, or just find a new spot for me when listening to them in the proper context of a full album.

(And there is a "there's" that should be a "theirs" in my first post...oops, damn typos)

Max said...

I'm also with you on M&S. Great album. :-)

The Wyvern said...

Definitely, L.

Listening to a whole album, seems to be one of those things we have lost. M&S was mentioned on the radio over here in the UK and then grew from there. I think Pink Floyd have won the battle to have their albums as one piece rather than separate tracks.

In the days of vinyl having two decent sides was a miracle. Stand up Stranglers fans here as they usually had a brilliant side and then a duff side.

Can they do as good second album? We will have to wait and see. But SNM would seem to be a concept album as well.

How about other Brit artists? Florence and the Machine? Adele?