Friday, April 1, 2011

Flash Fiction Friday - Dita's Bear

Dita's Bear by Sean McCall

The fire was dying, the ashes sending a smoky haze into the air, making everything smell like bacon, making the eyes water and the throat burn. He pulled out one of his horrible black cigars, but did not light it, running it through his fingers like the phallus-substitute it was. She sat on the floor looking up at him.

"One more time darlin'; it's been a long day."

She could see the disbelief in his eyes. "I killed it," she said, sadly, looking down at the face on the floor, frozen in a pose quite unnatural. The bear had never even growled at her. "I lured it here with fresh fish, then I stabbed it, skinned it, and ate its heart. And nothing happened."

He leaned back in the chair, eyes looking heavenward now. "Something happened."

"What do you mean?" she asked, her face shrouded in confusion.

He just shook his head, then coughed, dry and hacking, bespeaking doom for him. Then he stood and wrapped his coat around her. "You did your best," he said with a sigh. "Maybe the old folks were right after all. Maybe it was only a bear." And they huddled together, blood going cold.


This is an odd one, clocking in at exactly 200 words. I started out with the idea that Dita there would have killed the bear herself, which is an amusing concept. But something derailed my amusement. Because it's not "The Bear That Dita Killed" is it? It's "Dita's Bear." How did it come to be hers? Why did she make it hers in the first place? And what will she do with it now?

I have no answers for any of those questions, really. Except that it was her bear, she killed it, and those two things are interconnected but not cause-and-effect. It could have been a joke, or at least light comedy, but instead it was this.

Head over to Flash Fiction Friday, where I guarantee that there will be some other takes on this picture which make more sense and include more involvement of her bare-breasted condition.

8 comments:

Max said...

I love the the thought of her killing and skinning the bear herself. Not to mention eating his heart! But it might not be correct to say that nothing happened. It seems to have made her breasts grow.... Or maybe that's just me. :-)

Happy FFF!

Anonymous said...

Ohhhh! Poor bear! And after she killed it, it doesn't seem like Dita got what she was expecting. Nice chilling last line. Happy FFF!

Advizor54 said...

I like the promise of the unspoken mythical overtones, but I want to know why she killed the bear and what she hoped to gain specifically. I konw a lot of cultures believed that you took on the characteristics of the animals you ate, especially those i killed in close combat, but what was she seeking? and how did she get it so nicely mounted before he came to see her.

i will tell you that the man will definitely be played by Anthony Hopkins ala "Legends of the Fall." He popped in to my head the minute he entered the story.

Word said...

Okay, So it was a demon bear? A were-bear? (where bear? there bear!!!) Or have you been reading Orson Scott Card? Have to admit though that the thought of her killing and skinning a bear is a riot. Although it isn't totally implausible.I have a friend who is 4'11 and 110lbs soaking wet who kills an elk every year.

Looking forward to the sexy story too.

Rozewolf

Naughty Lexi said...

@Max: He said something happened. I didn't specify, but clearly that's what happened ;)

@TemptingSweets: Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of bearskin rugs myself. This bear in particular seems to have been an innocent victim.

@Advizor: Anthony Hopkins is a good casting choice. An excellent casting choice, in fact, that I wish I could say I was thinking of as I wrote it. As for your questions, I really don't know the answers. I wish I did, but I don't.

@Rozewolf: Clearly it was a tame bear, or at least a non-threatening bear, but maybe Dita's harder-core than she appears ;) I don't think I could slaughter a bear even if it sat there and let me. Not with a knife anyway.

Red said...

The first time I read it I thought she was auditioning for a 1930s blue movie and when the director said "Something happened" I assumed he meant in his pants.

As I said, just my interpretation. Great story as usual Lexi.

Naughty Lexi said...

@Red: When I write something as vague and open-ended as this, I can't complain about any interpretations. I think yours may be more cheerful than mine, but that's perfectly okay with me :)

Anonymous said...

When I read it I thought she was putting on a show by request for a rich gentleman.
After reading your thoughts on writing it I went back and thought "circus bear."