Monday, August 22, 2011

The Blargroll

I really hate blogrolls. Not on other people's sites, but on my own. Because I can't decide who to put on them. I mean, I want to put a blog up that I read, but there are also blogs that, while I don't regularly follow, I'd still like to give traffic. And then there's the ones that I follow but not avidly, and don't really feel like making a big deal out of them. And then others which really don't need my help in the followers or traffic departments. Sure, I could put on my blogroll that I follow some blogs, but really, who doesn't?

Still, everyone else has one, and I had one until I felt guilty about it and deleted it. So I'm bringing it back. It's down there somewhere. Perhaps you see your blog on it. Perhaps you don't. If you do, it means that I read your blog and care enough about it to tell everyone. I'm not looking for quid pro quo or anything. If your blog isn't, maybe it's because I don't know about it. In fact, let's assume that's why. Because I don't want to be insulting, and not every blog is my cup of tea, and I'm only one woman with a limited amount of time to read blogs let alone write them, and so if you're not there, it's a horrible oversight and I'll probably get around to putting yours up eventually. Not insulting.

See, this is why I hate the damn things. Because I feel like I should include everyone, and if I do that, then it's meaningless. You're all special.

I don't want to institute a "most recent N published blogs" rule, although I did think about it. But it's not really a solution, and I want to highlight a few blogs who may not publish ever ten minutes. Hell, I don't publish every ten minutes.

Don't expect the blorgle (I'm only able to stomach it if I mispronounce it) to grow to encyclopedic length. Don't expect it to have all the blogs I read on it. Don't expect much of anything. I hate blahgroles. Blarg. On a roll.

5 comments:

Max said...

You're thinking too much. :-)

I just put the blogs I personally enjoy. Of course no list can be "comprehensive", you just give it an honest shot, and that has to be good enough.

Silly Mistress : ) said...

Who needs blogrolls when there's barrel rolls?? :P

Advizor54 said...

Mine frustrates me as well 'cause I never seem to keep the right ones on it. Blogger sometimes updates it with blogs I follow, some I don't, then I have to add them all and then take the old ones off by hand. And how long do I wait for that one special friend to come back to writing? I like the people on my list, but I don't like keeping the list itself.

France said...

And when you stop following a site, you also have to remove it from your blog roll manually... Ugh!! This is hard work, I tell ya. :P

Ms. Inconspicuous said...

Your blogroll is essentially for you. That's how I like to think about it anyway. I put on blogs I like to read--end of story. No reciprocity expected.