Friday, August 26, 2011

Flash Fiction Friday - Developments

She and the camera were inseparable. She longed to document every moment in still, always seeking the perfect angle, the instant, the action. But she never saw herself; it was as if she were simply part of the background in every shot.

I saw us growing older, negative by negative: our joys, our sorrows, lovemaking, fights, reconciliations, celebrations. I saw her hair grow or cut as the days passed, but I never saw her face; the camera she saw through obscured the view.

Maybe she didn’t exist in my world. Maybe I was on film, and she was merely the instrument of my being. The viewfinder made the universe small.


Ivy rushed into my office, face flushed, panting. “I’ve got it, chief!” she said with triumph. “The perfect angle!”

“What are you talking about?”

“You wanted a story on sex in the work place...”

“Okay, pitch it,” I said, unconvinced.

But she just grabbed me and dragged me bodily into the bathroom, then started ripping off my clothes. I put up token resistance when I saw the camera in her hand, but she made it clear she wasn’t trying to blackmail me.

In a short time, I was between her thighs, wondering why I hadn’t done this before, and she was taking shot after shot, before taking shot after shot.


These are both not terribly good or terribly polished, and they really don't deserve the picture, which would have made me hard if I had the requisite parts for that. But I'm out of gas. This week has been... interesting. Anyway, in barely under the wire, but in nonetheless.

I'm so tired right now, all I can say is Flash Fiction Friday.

12 comments:

Advizor54 said...

Your version of "not terribly good or terribly polished" puts the rest of us to shame on a weekly basis. I liked the 2nd one especially, it just seems so spontaneous and fun, and I can almost picture it happening.

Are we going to get an explanation of your "interesting" week?

Red said...

Two great takes as usual Lexi. The first was quite thought provoking...and the second was just rampant. Loved them both.

Anonymous said...

Interesting is good.

PS

Max said...

Two nice takes. I especially like the second one - lusty and fun. :-)

Happy FFF!

Naughty Lexi said...

@Advizor: I'm really not being falsely modest: I'm not over-pleased with either of them. They could have used a bit more work, or a complete rewrite, or something. And interesting week explanations may be forthcoming. Perhaps an atypical weekend post...

@Red: Thanks hun, rampant is a great compliment :)

@PS: No, interesting is a Chinese curse ;)

@Max: Lusty is another great compliment :) I think I may like the second one better myself, just because I'm not in the mood for angst.

Word said...

The second one is good and would make a great longer story.

As for life being interesting in the chinese proverb manner... Oh do I know about that. Hopefully things will settle down as today Mercury goes direct. Things should have settled down by Monday across the board.

Naughty Lexi said...

@Word: If you say so :) I just know that Monday's another day.

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed BOTH! Two different takes, equally good. I like Red's description of the first one -- Thought-provoking, indeed.

Naughty Lexi said...

@TemptingSweets: If I hadn't been writing something Flash-y, I would probably have ruminated about the nature of memory. But I didn't, and I think we're all better off ;)

Faile said...

I loved the first one especially. The camera is an interesting tool; it records ones life but inherently puts one outside it too.

Anonymous said...

Naw! That woulda been a good read, too. I'm sure. ;-)

Naughty Lexi said...

@Faile: True. Sort of what I was trying to say, but that sentence was better than any of mine ;)

@TemptingSweets: I don't know about that, but thanks for the confidence :)