Friday, August 6, 2010

Flash Fiction Friday -Trilogy

Untitled 3 by Samantha Wolov

Drifting

Tuesday night. He told her that every Wednesday morning when she begged, and every time Tuesday rolled around he would have something better to do. Sometimes she would lie awake for hours, hoping that he might consent to enter her bedroom, even just poke his head in to see her lying there, naked, waiting.

Tuesday night. The words became a mantra to her, pulling her through the drudgery of existence. She never stopped believing. This time, he would come. This time would be different.

And one Tuesday night, she gave up and pulled out her trusty vibrator, not waiting, for the first time. It soothed her, making her forget.  Her body was drifting, floating, crashing to earth as it was pulled away just as she was about to forget about everything. Her eyes snapped open, and he was standing there.

Tuesday night. Wednesday morning. She blinked and it was Friday, and the sheets were crumpled and drenched and she ached all over, and there he was beside her, telling her every night would be Tuesday night from now on.


Floating

When she cums, it's like a wave. No, a series of waves, one after the next, her body rising and falling, drifting, floating, crashing to earth, then soaring again. I wish I could protect her from the falls, but without them, she could never reach the heights.

Once I told her, jokingly, that I hoped she wouldn't hurt herself in those plummeting moments, those moments of free-fall where her body seems to hang in the air for a moment before dropping with a sickening speed. Or was I joking? Watching her is like riding a roller coaster.

She kissed me and said that she never feels the impact. Like a dreamer, she wakes before she hits. She is forever in flight, never striking the bottom. She is a bird, dropping slightly with each wing beat, and then the pleasure bears her up again.

Back arched as in pain, every muscle tense as steel cable, she is still smiling as each wave crashes through her.


Crashing to Earth

She lay back and let him work, eyes closed as instructed. At first there was a tingling, then a feathery sensation passed over her entire body. She shivered, partly from nerves, partly anticipation. He had never done this before.

Soon he seemed to have found whatever rhythm was necessary, and she was drifting, floating... crashing to earth with a bump and a yelp of pain. "Damn it!" she groaned, rubbing her head.

"Sorry darling, I really thought I had it this time." He was standing over her with a calibrator, checking the fields.

"You're sure I needed to be naked for this?"

"Absolutely. The magnets might affect your clothing differently."

"I bet you say that to all your beautiful lab assistants," she said, sitting up and wrapping her arms around him, giving him a kiss which he enthusiastically returned. And so progress on human levitation was set back by fifteen minutes of earnest physical research. Only fifteen minutes though; his new stamina-enhancing gadget wasn't quite ready for production.


The phrase seemed to suggest a trilogy, although they aren't connected by anything more than shared inspiration.  I'm not totally sure where the first one came from, because it doesn't seem to have that much to do with either the picture or the phrase, but it was inspired by both of them.  The second has some mild autobiographical influences.  The third has to do with my current choice of TV viewing.  I had thought about making it about a magic trick instead, but it came out this way.  Stick that artist's statement in your ceci-n'est-pas-une-pipe and smoke it.

Speaking of sticking things in other things, you could probably say that the theme of every Friday around here involves that concept, so why not stick Flash Fiction Friday in your queue of things with which to waste time.  Then stick your hot, image-inspired fiction in the Internet's tight little blogosphere and wiggle it around a little.  See what comes out.  There's some fierce competition (believe me, I'm intimidated weekly) but don't let that stop you.  Prove yourself.  Pop that cherry.  Shoot white-hot inspiration straight up into our browsers.  Knock our heads up.

15 comments:

The Panserbjørne said...

One of the things I find most interesting about your offerings is the way they ALL tie in to either the pic, the phrase, or the theme. You have a way of making even the most disparate elements seem tightly woven. I'm fascinated.

Of these three, I think I like the second one best. It's the approach I'd originally intended -- floating on the wind, borne up by currents of desire. Not the approach I wound up using, though, which says something about my brain's unpredictability.

Thanks again for joining us, Lexi.

-- PB

Advizor54 said...

I love the trilogy approach, I had to to two today to get out the ideas that were bouncing in my head as well. I loved all three, but the first was my favorite, that longing, the need for them to join us after too long apart.

My favorite line, however, came from #2, ". She is forever in flight, never striking the bottom."

A great phrase.

Bella said...

This is really good! I like the way you have taken the phrase and used it to tie these together....I like it :)

Naughty Lexi said...

@PB: As I said, I did have an unfair advantage in my personal experience for the second one. Oddly enough, I wrote it mostly to fill in the blank between the other two. It's not as FFF as the others; it's more something I might just have written anyway.

@Advizor: I love the first one too. If I had to pick only one of these to post, it probably would have been that one, no offense to the other two. It just fell out of me.

@Bella: I originally was just going to give them titles, but then I realized that the phrase suited titling so well. Crashing To Earth just screamed to be used for the title of the third one, and the other two worked, so I went for it.

@Blogger: When are you going to give us the functionality that Wordpress has and let me reply to comments in a tree? It's so much easier to follow that way.

Unknown said...

This is, without a doubt, my personal favorite of the week. VERY original and well done.

I'm looking forward to reading more from you in the future.

~Soren

Bilinda Ní Siodacaín said...

I adore the first one!!! Your three together took my breath away literally my god can you write beautifully! *jealous face* But I'm truly madly deeply in love with the first one...
always,
Bilinda

Naughty Lexi said...

@Soren: I don't know; I think you gave me some competition in both the quality and originality departments, as did the others. But the compliment makes me all tingly.

@Transylvanian Miss: Breath dear; I don't want your asphyxiation on my conscience ;) Glad you liked them.

Anonymous said...

I love the way you used the days of the week in the first one, like poetry.

I find you more and more interesting and I still don't believe that you actually exist in reality. However, I read your FFF and it seems to me that you must be real...you must exist in some form, somewhere.

Naughty Lexi said...

@Discreteinaz: You found me out; I'm actually a self-aware computer program which is trying to distract you while I manufacture an unstoppable army of cyborg squirrels. Either that or nothing is real and I am merely a construct of your dreaming mind as you sit, Brahma-like, on the eternal lotus, breathing out creation, breathing in destruction.

The student asked the Master Joshu, "What is the nature of Zen?" The Master replied, "You blog and blog, and yet you are merely the touch of the willow tree to the water." Hearing this, Discreteinaz was enlightened.

Dioneo said...

All three are very good, but the first is my favorite. The repetition of "Tuesday night" is not only poetic, but it provides the sense of time standing still, contrasting nicely with the rapid time shift at the end. The speed of time indeed seems to vary depending on whether we're with the ones we love.

Anonymous said...

Oh, the first one is so lovely! In the end when he finally comes to her... *sigh* My favorite one.
The second was very beautiful, and the last one made me laugh! You are so unpredictable...

Anonymous said...

Oh, so good! Love this triology.

~CP

Naughty Lexi said...

@Dioneo: I honestly don't know why Tuesday night seemed right. I could just as easily have gone with some other day, but for whatever reason, Tuesday night clicked somehow. Glad you enjoyed it as much as I did.

@R: That sigh is all the compliment I need :)

@Chocolate Puss: Happy to provide pleasure in any way I can ;)

Naughty Lexi said...

@myself: It's spelled "breathe" dumbo. Alert the typo police to take me away. I should be telling Transylvanian Miss to breathe, but instead it sounds like I'm correcting her. Mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.

Anonymous said...

it all comes together into one perfect work of art.....