Tuesday, November 29, 2016

TMI Tuesday Non-Sexy Edition

This one's probably not going to be a sexy one (although with me you never know).  But if you want a glimpse of how Lexi's brain ticks, read on.

From the vaults:

1. What are you most afraid of?

Death?  Probably death.  Or I would likely have killed myself previously.  I've been in bad situations in my life, and fear of death might be the reason I'm still here.  I'd like to think that love has pulled me out of some of them too, but love is a long process and suicide is disturbingly easy to jump into without thinking, so a healthy fear of death might be an asset.

Other than that, which encompasses a lot of other fears, I'm pretty scared of heights, which is ironic because I spend a lot of my time on ladders and above stages.  I'm also creeped out by flying bugs.  Maybe not terrified, but I love spiders because they eat flying things, so I'm the polar opposite of many people.  I can get a little claustrophobic at times. I think most of my phobias are things I can suppress if I'm concentrating on something else, say work.

2. Do you believe in life after death?

I don't think I believe in it. There might be something after death, but I'm pretty sure it's not life. No offense to anyone who believes in reincarnation. But I don't think Heaven is a house in the burbs.

3. What is your purpose?

I have no idea. Really none. If I did, the next question would be easier to answer.

4. Where are you going?

Nowhere? If I knew what my purpose was, I might be moving toward fulfilling that, but I don't. I hope I'm moving forward.

5. Do you fear hell? Why or why not?

I don't believe in hell like fire and brimstone. I've got long, complicated reasons for that. But I do believe that, if there's something after life, then there's no hell where sinners go. That said, I believe in the hell we make for ourselves.

6. Do you feel free?

As free as anyone else. I think freedom is overrated. Not that I think slavery is great, but that we make a big fuss about this idea of freedom when we should be worried about justice. Or when we're doing first world problems. For me to say, "I don't feel free," would be like me saying, "Sometimes I get an itch."

And the freedom we frequently desire isn't a meaningful freedom. We want the freedom to live without consequences, or freedom which is really privilege. It's like  complaining that life isn't fair. We want life to be fair in our favor, and we want freedom to allow us to do anything. Neither of those things is reasonable.

So sure, I feel free. What a strange question.

Bonus: Why do people point to their wrist when asking for the time, but people don’t point to their crotch when asking where is the bathroom?

A few things come to mind. First, we wear watches, but we don't wear urethrae. So we're not pointing to our wrists, we're pointing to a watch in abstract. Second, by pointing to our wrist we're signaling that we aren't wearing a watch and thus need aid in knowing what time it is. Third, it's decorous to point at one's wrist, but the genitalia are taboo in polite society. I would venture a guess that younger children may signal their desire to go to the bathroom by pointing at their crotches because they haven't fully internalized manners surrounding the subject.

This isn't taking into account people who don't think of wrist watches. I would say that it's both true that some statistically significant subset of the population points at watch, and that a statistically insignificant subset points at crotch, and therefore the question is a valid one, even if the reasons might not be more interesting than, "Because it's rude to gesture to your genitals."

No comments: