Sunday, July 10, 2011

Nothing Like Drama

I've been a little quiet this week because of business (no, busy-ness) issues. I had hoped I might have something to report on the sexy side, but... well, I'll tell the story.

There's a seemingly-nice guy in the play I'm in, and while I wasn't pushing it, we seemed to be hitting it off and I thought, hey, I'm an actor, I can slum a little and have a torrid show romance, and maybe this guy would be into that. So some harmless flirting ensued. Really, this was incredibly low-key flirting, flirting which could barely be described as anything more than banter of the type that theatricals tend to enjoy, the slightly innuendo-ish kind but not really directed. Eyes were made though, which made it flirting. He got to see me in various states of undress as a result of the natural order of theatre, and I in return flaunted it just a bit, just a whisker.

I thought things were progressing well. The rare occasions when I find myself as an actor romancing another actor, I don't feel bad about it but I do proceed with caution because actor-romance tends to be rife with drama. As 'twas on this occasion.

Because you see, there's another actress with whom he has history that I didn't know about, and while he claims that it's over and done with, she doesn't see it that way. And she's... a little crazy. Which meant that she was seeing all the harmless flirting and implying a great deal more than even I was implying to myself. It put her on the slow boil, but when she boiled, God help us all.

Things came to a head the other night. Strangely enough, while I don't think she likes me much, she didn't get mad at me; she flew off the handle at him back stage and they started fighting, calling each other names, etc. Camps were formed; either you were on his side or hers. And the thing of it was, I didn't really want to be in a camp at all, even as people assumed I'd be on his side because I was interested in him or her side because she was a gal and so was I. I should state that I think they're both being ridiculous, because he was giving as good as he got and I don't know that she was entirely unjustified in her perceptions either. Both crazy.

Ugly. I backed off, tried to avoid both of them whenever possible, and things calmed to a simmer, but I really hope they don't boil over again because I don't like backstage drama, which is why I'm usually pretty careful about involving myself in it. Sometimes it hits me out of the blue, and sometimes I do it without realizing it, but when I can, I remove myself from the drama, even if it means no sexy fun times for me. Anyway, I have hopes for a visit from Sveta soon, so that will make me forget all about the two crazy actors. And probably about remembering my lines too. Damn distractions.

She's worth it though.

2 comments:

Advizor54 said...

The show drama isn't worth it most of the time because the stage world, I imagine, is much like the music world where everyone knows everyone else.

Stay safe and sane for Sveta and then the two of you can work out the tension and run lines at the same time.

Anonymous said...

Showmance - yeah, like romance but more 'performing'.

PS