Friday, October 28, 2011

Flash Fiction Friday Supplemental

So the last two weeks I wasn't remiss, although I did miss. I felt mildly, very mildly guilty at first, but you know what, I don't now because shit happens and other things are more important. However, I love doing FFF so I wanted an excuse to do a few more, which is why I went back and did the challenges I missed. Huzzah. Hope you enjoy the extra Flash-Fiction-y goodness.

Performance Art

Framed by Marcus J. Ranum

She sat still, the barest motion of her breasts as she breathed betraying that she wasn’t art, but life. Or was it both? I looked at her and found that I couldn’t see her from all angles; I had to see her through the frame or she looked out of place, indistinct.

“I love the purple,” I said to her. She smiled, just slightly, her head turning to me, and I knew she heard, even as she settled back into her meditation.


Just a moment. Not really a story, but coming upon this picture in life and wondering.

Her Master's Voice

05 by Beaumonde

I can’t stand to hear him anymore. I’m sitting naked in the dark, and I pull off my headphones and cry because I know. He’s just a voice now.

Once upon a time I would have waited for him. I would have ignored my commitment in the next room and waited in pained delight. But now the voice is too much and I can’t help myself. So I crawl back to my husband and try to forget. He’s not coming. I can’t stand to hear him.


Some of you may be familiar with the old RCA ad. If not, don't worry about it. This isn't really about domination. There's just something kind of sad about her, sitting in shadow, no longer listening to the headphones. Who is this voice she would once have waited for? I don't really know. But she can't wait for him now, for whatever reason. I wrote this one first-person and present-tense, which I don't ordinarily do but it seemed to fit.


Not prolific, but there you go. If you haven't already, go to PB's site and see the wonders of the Flash Fiction world.

4 comments:

Advizor54 said...

I tried to work the RCA dog into the story but ran out of space.

I know the feeling of just not being able to stand the memories. It comes with reading blogs too, it's painful at times to read what people are doing when you used to be one of them.

Anonymous said...

FFF supplemental? This a terrific way to end a Friday and start the weekend! Oh, so glad you did this. Yay! I enjoyed them both.

Naughty Lexi said...

@Advizor: While I knew it as the RCA dog, it turns out that it's actually older than that and has been used by a number of companies. The more you know... Memories are difficult sometimes. I have a hard time watching movies about high school, even really good ones. It is what it is, I guess.

@TemptingSweets: I wanted to catch up a little, to prove that I could do it even if I couldn't do it on a deadline ;)

Max said...

I love both, and am glad you decided to catch up. Happy supplemental post-Friday. :-)