Thursday, March 22, 2012

Five

Five years ago on this day I started this blog with this post. Go back and read it if you'd like, relive the memories (not that I imagine there were many people who actually read it the first day it was up), whatever.

Now, five years later, it's a bit different. I'm not 20-something (gasp). I have fewer stories to tell, and I get off less on telling them than I used to because I've run out of the exciting ones and most of the ones that remain are more banal, at least to my mind. I have less time and energy.

I'm not stopping. But I'm reevaluating. And I'm having to slow down a bit because, let's face it, blogs are no substitute for real life.

A lot of very nice people (well, a lot relatively speaking anyway) have said that they don't care, that they want me to continue as I have been, even if I'm not constantly telling exciting stories. They like the blog, and that touches me. Several have gone so far as to say that they wish I would branch out into more fiction, the way some of my fellow bloggers do. Hell, a few have even said they'd read something I wrote even if it weren't erotic at all.

Basically, I love each and every one of you, and I hope you'll bear with me as I try to sort things out a bit. And if things change in a way you don't like, I hope you won't hate me for doing what I have to do. I'm not saying that it's not my blog to do with what I please, but it pleases me to please you in some way. Without you, I wouldn't be blogging, I'd be masturbating. And that's not as interesting.

Flash Fiction Friday is wonderful, and I wish I had the ability to do it every week. Lately, things have conspired to stop me. I could see doing fiction, but it would be a different blog then, and I'm not sure I shouldn't just start a different blog if that's what I'm planning on doing. There are also concerns of paranoia; every day this blog is up is a day that I worry, just a little, that it will hurt someone I love. In hindsight, I'm not sure it was a good idea to start blogging as I did; I should have been more circumspect. And now I'm faced with the choice: do I continue as I have and worry more and more, or do I stop and disappoint people?

I'm thinking about things. That's where I am. I wrote this in advance, just in case I wasn't able to make it online on the actual anniversary, so rest assured that I'm thinking about things.

To keep this from being overly depressing, here's an old snapshot I dug out of the box. I'm not sure when or where it was taken, but it was a happy time. I'm in there somewhere. I'll leave it to you to figure out where; it shouldn't be difficult. Simpler times, simpler pleasures. It's perhaps more graphic than usual, but I'm tired of teasing, I guess.

Simpler Times, Simpler Pleasures

6 comments:

Jim said...

You never know what someone will find interesting, that's for sure. For example, I think it's pretty interesting that your first post STILL doesn't have a comment :-)

These things just seem to run their course, don't they? Many of the blogs that I started reading 6-8 years ago aren't around any more . . . a few are, and that's pretty remarkable. I hope you stick around, even if it's only to share the occasional thought, urge, or story.

XO

Max said...

Happy blogoversary! Five years is a *very* long time in blog years, and that's reason to celebrate.

As for what you do with the blog from this point, do what feels right. I enjoy your writing and your "voice", and I'll be happy to read whatever you write.

FWIW, I'm also figuring out what to write about, and just posted to that effect....

Anonymous said...

I'd like to see that as a postcard with the traditional seaside greeting of "Wish You Were Here?" on it.. I know I do!

Advizor54 said...

I just fixed the problem Jim pointed out.

I don't know when I started following you, but I know it had a profound impact on my writing and my approach to what blogging can be. As you change direction, we will follow. you are too wonderful to let go.

Ram The Sunlover said...

You, and your joy, gotta come first. What direction does lead?
Ram

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary!