Friday, October 15, 2010

Flash Fiction Friday - Fugitive

Cuffs

"I've got her in custody; keep looking for him." No one stopped a man in uniform, asked to see identification. In the confusion, they were only worried about the male gunman still at large. The two figures, cuffed together, disappeared into the smoke without fanfare.

Later, once he pulled off his false mustache and badge, his un-cuffed hand slipped up between her legs, pressing in. "I was dripping wet the whole time," she moaned. "You know how watching you in disguise gets me wound up." The shackles stayed on; she writhed, but escape was the furthest thing from her mind.


I'm not in love with this one.  100 more words would have helped.  I know, asking for more words is a sign of weakness; we must be tight, tight, tight.

I edited the hell out of this.  I've given glimpses of my thought process, but today I have very little thought process so instead I'll give a glimpse of my editing process.  Many times I don't need to work quite as hard to make the requirements because it just works out for whatever reason.  But in this instance, I wrote the basic text, then had to go back and add things, which necessitating subtracting things.

I started with opening dialogue, but it was different than the final version.  I cut it halfway through, but had to reintroduce it because some kind of explanation for the first paragraph was lacking.  That meant I had to cut some extraneous material from the second paragraph.  It was sexy but obvious so to the cutting floor it went.  It didn't really serve the story.

I worked through a few iterations of the final line, including "furthest thing from their minds," but ultimately the final version reflects the fact that it's more about her, which looks back to the original conceit that he's a police officer taking her in, rather than a fellow fugitive.  She's not fleeing him, both because he's not really capturing her and because who'd want to flee?

After that, it was mostly adding small touches and constricting verbiage.  I changed "dangerous fugitive" to "male gunman" because I wanted to reinforce the clue that there are two people involved in the manhunt, plus I was planning on using fugitive in the title.  "On the loose" became "at large" because it's a slightly more hard-boiled way of saying it (and I needed that extra word).  I did preserve "without fanfare" from the original version, but most of the other rhetorical flourishes either were cut or heavily altered.

Now that I've revealed how to do the trick, I suppose it's less magical.  My thought process was a little more straight-forward: they don't regularly cuff prisoners together like that (if prisoners are together, it's usually with chains between cuffs) so my mind immediately went to the idea of a policeman falling for his fugitive.  Then I spent a few moments internally giggling, thinking about how amusing the last scene of The Fugitive would have been if Tommy Lee Jones and Harrison Ford had started making out in the back of the car (this didn't really add anything to my process, but it was funny).  Then I wrote it with a bit of a twist because the original idea seemed a little straightforward.  Then editing.  See above.

This has been Flash Fiction Friday.  I have no pimping in me at the moment, so I'll just say that it's a lot of fun even when it's difficult, and there are so few things in life about which I can say that, so you should do it too.  Or, as they say, go ye now and do likewise.

13 comments:

Drenchxoxo said...

100 words is hard as hell but your extra 500 post commentary is GOLDEN!

Advizor54 said...

I love editing, like a butcher cutting away the fat, each word has to serve a purpose, nouns must be solid, verbs must move, and descriptions are best left to the reader's mind.

I like this piece, i think a 2nd paragraph would have distracted from it's power. Like the last of the Harry Potter books prove, you should not take 700 pages to tell a 200 page story.

Anonymous said...

I don't think I'd want to escape either! Personally, I like this FFF... and a man in uniform!!

Anonymous said...

Ha, ha! Tommy Lee and Harrison Ford making out? Too funny, you are. Fun FFF!

Katia said...

I love how the explaination was longer than the story. A look "behind" the scences. *Smiles*

Katia

Naughty Lexi said...

@Myself: I neglected to mention that, at some point in the editing process while I wasn't paying attention, I brutally cut the required phrase. And ya know what? I don't care. It was empty words. Some people this week have managed to include it in a way which wasn't brutally obvious, but I hadn't, so it went. Pretend you see it there on the cutting-room floor.

@Drenchxoxo: I'm not sure the point of the exercise is to have my commentary be better than my writing, but if it must be, I guess I'll deal ;)

@Advizor: Um, dear, there is a second paragraph ;) And I'm actually really bad at editing, which is why FF is good for me; something small enough to edit ruthlessly with stringent requirements. I take it you didn't like the last Harry Potter book then.

@Spring Flower: I've never been that attracted to policemen, but in this case I'd make an exception too ;)

@TemptingSweets99: If you can believe it, that's actually one of the saner thoughts I've had ;)

@Not My Original Vows: Once again, I cringe at the thought that my commentary has somehow become bigger than my work, but as I've said before, I view FFF as an opportunity to have a writers' workshop, and talking about your process is important to that. Or maybe my work just isn't that good. I suspect a hint of both options.

Max said...

I like it a lot. You told a lot of story in a very few words, and made it hot too! Great job.

Cheers,
Max

The Panserbjørne said...

Fantastic, Lexi. I prefer your take on Bonnie and Clyde (or Mickey and Mallory, or whoever). Oddly enough, I don't have a bucketload of comments this week. The piece just...works. What more need be said?

-- PB

Anonymous said...

I liked it....

You are a behind the scenes person, you know how the show is put together, what it takes to make the magic. I wonder, given the choice, if you would watch a play from box seats, or backstage...

I think that is why your comments are so....you.

Naughty Lexi said...

@Max: Thanks hun; coming from you, any compliment is high praise.

@PB: What I said to Max applies to you as well (and others, so no one needs to feel left out). That you enjoyed it is all the comment I need. I've been somewhat terse today too; I'm a bit run down.

@Kenny: If my comments were so someone else, I'd worry ;) Actually, I seldom watch plays from the audience, and when I do it's usually because I did work on them but didn't need to be backstage during the performance. I'm definitely a backstage gal, as a reading of parts of my blog concerning my job will attest.

Unknown said...

Glad to hear I wasn't the only one that had to do some heavy editing :P

Rest assured, your's came out great, and your idea was fantastic! You could always write a part 2 with those extra hundred words... ;)

~Soren

Big Geek said...

That was a great FFF. Very Tight. I love the Authors commentary too. Your magic sounds a lot like mine. this needs to paint more colorfully this needs a harder edge I need to ditch a few more letters to get under the 100 words... start contracting. Did I missed the 'cold bite' phrase of the day or just get caught slipping up between her legs?

Naughty Lexi said...

@Soren: I could, but that would have required twice the effort ;) Some weeks the ideas just flow and three stories isn't enough, but this week, one was difficult to get out.

@Big Geek: As I mentioned in my comment above, the cold bite was left on the cutting room floor. It was there in spirit. No, actually, it wasn't; I didn't like the phrase this week and it went fairly early in the editing process, although in my defense I genuinely didn't notice when I cut it that I was cutting the required phrase, having forgotten that that's what it was.