Friday, July 2, 2010

Flash Fiction Friday - One Small Step

"Houston, we are go for landing." Her breath caught in her throat as she surveyed the terrain, picking the best spot to touch down. What a view. Uncharted territory.

"Roger that, better put on your suit and prepare for extra-vehic," the distorted voice crackled after a moment, delayed by the sluggard radio waves.

She adjusted her attitude, pitched left slightly, until her viewport filled with her target. She licked her lips unconsciously, feeling the dry air suck the moisture away. Her concentration was total. Just seconds to touchdown.

"My God, it's full of stars." Then she laughed, the nervousness in the pit of her stomach escaping as she did so. "I couldn't help myself."

And with a slight shudder, she was down, resting on this new world. But she had not come as a conqueror. Exploration was in her blood, and as she roved about the surface, she could think of nothing but the thrill of finding out exactly what Luna had to offer.


Yes, I went there.  I like allusion.  It started out a bit silly, but then I got into it.  I think there will have to be some sexy astronaut cosplay in my future somehow.

Flash Fiction Friday.  That's the long and the short of it.

11 comments:

netsfan_44 said...

As always ... loved it !!

Just read the post below .. I also can roll my tongue and turn it aout 135 degrees ... know u would like that !

Have a good day dear !

The Panserbjørne said...

I dig allusions and comparisons, especially when they're this well-done. So glad you joined us this week, Lexi. Thanks for playing along!

-- PB

Diable Incarne said...

"she could think of nothing but the thrill of finding out exactly what Luna had to offer."

Yes, I have been exploring "Luna" for several years now. The view from on top is a sight to behold... *smiles*

I always enjoy your unique perspectives.

Happy Friday!

lila said...

*grins* I love your always-unique perspective on the pictures!! Thank you for sharing.

Anonymous said...

I really liked this! Such fun. Thank you for the giggle.

Luna Mauvaise said...

Who doesn't love weightlessness and astronauts?

I could be biased cause you said my name and all, but great contribution. ;)

Red said...

Tee hee, that was great. I always wanted to be a spaceman but I guess spacewomen have just as much fun!

Nice one Lexi.

Red

xxxxx

Anonymous said...

So original!! Loved loved loved it :)

Naughty Lexi said...

Thanks everyone, always great to have the chance to make people giggle or think or both. And isn't Luna a terrific name?

ConTemplate said...

Loved this, Lexi! It's great to laugh, but also great to consider a real expedition to the "moon" ...

Dee said...

That was totally awesome!

xx Dee