Friday, March 25, 2011

Flash Fiction Friday - Cuba Libre

Casablanca by T. Creiner

Havana, before Batista and the revolution, burned brightly in her mind as she swayed to the fierce thrumming of fingers on guitars, Spanish and yet not of Spain, of Cuba, of freedom and what had been. On the boat, over endless martinis sparkling for the ambitious businessmen and rum for those who were more sure of their allegiances, Javier had been the most ambitious and yet the most sure. He had played flamenco and jazz effortlessly, and had put down the guitar many times to dance with her, only to be cajoled into "just one more" by the drunken American plutocrats who didn't know samba from son.

Her memories, kissed by the sun, dissolved in a haze of scratches as the needle of her phonograph lurched in its track, the record coming to an unscheduled halt as it always did. That was where the song ended now. Javier, the boat, the sun, the freedom, all of it dead and gone. She had nothing to do now but watch the sun sink in Miami harbor and dream of Havana that was, and what might have been but now would never be.


I must say at the start that I am not political about Cuba at all. This is not me pouring out my longing for a free Cuba, or pining for dissidents, or what have you. It's just a story. Used to be, long ago, that one didn't have to say things like this, but now it seems safer. Please don't get offended. Thank you.

Now that that's out of the way...

This picture wasn't terribly inspiring, thus only one this week. They can't all be winners. I know the title of the picture is Casablanca, but this really spoke Caribbean to me for whatever reason. For a total and utter gringo I have a bit of experience of Cuba, entirely vicarious, for various reasons. I worked on several plays about the period surrounding the revolution. Cuban music, although I can't claim to know much about it, is also fascinating; Cuba is a real melting pot of cultures and it shows in the arts.

The picture struck me as an odd combination of old and new, vintage and modern, so I played with the idea that maybe it wasn't an old picture, but rather a memory. Which led me to consider what kind of memory it could be. It doesn't look like sex is about to happen, so the most enjoyable memories were out, but they seem like they're having a good time. A party on a yacht, perhaps. He's playing, she's dancing, there are drinks and cigarettes. But she looks a bit like she wishes he'd put down the damn guitar and come dance with her. He's not looking at her though. Lost opportunities maybe?

I've read a number of stories over the years where watches stop at important times. She keeps a watch because it stopped the second her lover died. The watch was smashed when its owner was murdered, preserving that moment. And so on. But there's no real angle for a watch here. The moment is frozen in some other way, and I'd already decided it wasn't because the picture was taken; this picture isn't a photograph. So she's dancing and thinking of this memory, and then it stops. And it struck me that a record would be perfect. I'm not sure why the scratch happened. Maybe it was totally innocent at the time and later achieved significance. Maybe the record was damaged during whatever events occurred to ruin what might have been. But for whatever reason, she has this precious record which she plays because it brings back happy memories, but the record is scratched, the memories flawed.

Anyway, enough talk about me. Let's talk about you. Yes, you. The one who hasn't ever done Flash Fiction Friday before. You read them, you enjoy them, and you think to yourself, "Gee, it seems like fun, but I don't think I could ever write something. I'm just no good at it." Pshaw, my fine fellow, pshaw I say again. You can write something. Hell, the first thing I wrote for FFF was about an elaborate sexual roleplay scenario involving vampire ants. I can only go up from there. And so can you. Seriously. Writing is good for the brain, and we all need a little fiction in our lives these days. So it's not too late. You can write something for this week's photo right now and head over to Flash Fiction headquarters and put your hat in the ring. The worst that will happen is that you write something terrible about an elaborate sexual roleplay scenario involving vampire ants.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know, I started out with Havana Harbor, and sambas... Then changed it. LOL.

I do like your take, especially the sarcastic remark about not knowing the difference between 'samba and son'.

Advizor54 said...

Not inspiring? Your one beats my four, so it's quality over quantity every day. I like the memory aspect. I too, invoked the photograph, but I love how the record skipping brings it to a close. I have such a clear shot of how that would look in a movie....

But, now don't hate me for this, the 1st thing that popped in to my head at the end was....

Her name was Lola, she was a showgirl, with yellow feathers in her hair, and a dress cut down to there......

I really do like this one, very evocative in the best sense..

Anonymous said...

Oh! I love that this was a memory-based story and took place in Cuba. Love it! Especially loved the line: "Her memories, kissed by the sun, dissolved in a haze of scratches as the needle of her phonograph lurched in its track, the record coming to an unscheduled halt as it always did." And the last line of the story.

Naughty Lexi said...

@wordwytch: Confession time: I couldn't tell the difference between samba and son if you put a gun to my head. And I honestly figured that I'd be the only person thinking Havana, and now it seems like everyone was either thinking that and didn't go for it, or thinking it and did, perhaps better than me. I feel like I've worn the same dress as everyone else at the party ;)

@TemptingSweets: Glad you liked it; those lines spoke to me too.

Max said...

Lovely take, very nice writing. I love how you used the required phrase. And great minds obviously think alike on getting Havana from this pic!

Happy FFF!

nilla said...

lexi,

this was great, i too loved the captured memory angle...but your after commentary was the prize for me !!!!!

omg you are so funny!

nilla, laughing

Anonymous said...

Lexi, ROFLOL!!!! you are a riot some days. Interesting new header, btw.

Ryan Beaumont said...

I was thinking Cuba as well. I immdiately thought of Antonio Bandaras in the Mambo Kings.

Naughty Lexi said...

@Advizor: No, your four are better. Ooh, let's fight about whose is better ;)

@Max: Well, some great minds and mine, which may or may not be great. Honestly, if you're thinking alike with me, you might want to get that checked out; I'm crazy ;)

@nilla: Thanks hun :) Sometimes I'm funny, sometimes I'm sad, and of the two I think I prefer the former.

@Ryan Beaumont: He is a bit Banderas-esque, isn't he? He just looked too Spanish-ish not to be in Havana.

France said...

Love the ending! I could almost feel the warm breeze on my face.

Anonymous said...

I wasn't thinking Havana or anything close to that until I read your story.
Seems maybe I should have in hindsight because the picture does have that quality.

p.s.
samba lessons are fun.

Naughty Lexi said...

@France: There ought to be some warm breeze somewhere. I love winter and cold weather, but I'm getting a bit tired of it at the moment.

@pocket rockettz: As PB pointed out, Casablanca itself has a fairly moderate climate, and this picture just seemed hotter and more humid to me. But fortunately I'm just one of many, and just because I do it doesn't make it so ;) I'll have to take your word on the samba lessons though; I couldn't dance my way out of a paper bag I'm afraid.